Delta Lambda Phi Saddened by DACA Decision
September 6, 2017
Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity is disappointed by the recent decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in the United States. This program has provided opportunities for nearly 800,000 undocumented people who arrived in the U.S. as children to study and work without fear of immediate deportation. While the Trump Administration has announced that it will continue renewing permits for anyone’s status within the next six months, this move has left it up to Congress to prevent the currently protected individuals from losing their ability to work, study, and live without fear in the United States.
Our fellow NIC member, Delta Theta Phi Latin Fraternity Inc., recommends the following call to action, and we echo these methods:
- Find peaceful and nonviolent organizations in your area that provide a safe environment to peacefully assemble to protect undocumented persons while fighting against rhetoric that often dehumanizes our undocumented communities.
- Call your Senator and House Representatives and implore them to support the 2017 DREAM Act (S. 1615). Contact your Congressional leaders by going online to dreamers.fwd.us/. Additional advocacy tools and a script can also be found on the website.
- United We Dream, the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the nation, provides tools and resources for its affiliates and supporters to help with your advocacy and direct service work. Information can be found online at unitedwedream.org/toolbox/.
- There are hundreds of immigrant rights and service organizations across the country that provide immigrants with access to numerous and needed resources. To locate an organization in your state, please find one from the Informed Immigrant online at www.informedimmigrant.com/organizations/.
Remember our values, our purposes, and our guiding principles. We, as members of Delta Lambda Phi, strive to:
- Develop dignified and purposeful social, service, and recreational activities for all men, irrespective of sexual orientation or gender expression;
- Lead in determining the rights and privileges of individuals in society;
- Present a strong and positive image, which respects the diversity of all individuals.
We are a brotherhood which has been fighting for social change, justice, and equity for over thirty years, but we are not alone. We must join our voices with other like-minded organizations. In order to survive and thrive for the next few years, we must stand together to educate others, fight for equity, and remain united with all marginalized communities in the fight for justice.
Mike Beavers, Trustee & Chairman of the Board
Cory Molner, Executive Director & CEO
Founded in 1986 in Washington D.C., Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity is the first nationally recognized Greek-Letter organization founded by gay men for all men. The membership of Delta Lambda Phi is open to all college men who supports its values. Delta Lambda Phi is the first fraternity of its kind to be recognized by the North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) and has 30 chapters and colonies across the United States and Canada. More information about Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity can be found at www.dlp.org.