Statement Condemning Violence in Charlottesville, VA
August 14, 2017
Delta Lambda Phi strongly condemns the violence and hatred that was demonstrated in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday. This type of aggression and domestic terrorism is unacceptable and reprehensible, and we call for an immediate end to these acts of racism, bigotry, violence, and intimidation.
What happened in Charlottesville does not reflect the values of Delta Lambda Phi, and are unfortunately examples of the types of racism and bigotry we encounter every day. Today, Delta Lambda Phi stands with all of its members, and the marginalized members of society, to support each other in the unique way that only we can.
From our creation, Delta Lambda Phi has worked towards presenting a strong and positive image, which respects the diversity of all individuals. Now more than ever, we need to lead in determining the rights and privileges of individuals in society; and we need to bear witness to the atrocities that are being committed to those in our community, to those whom we love. Our members must stand firm to address these behaviors in our society and continue to address the injustices in our local communities.
We encourage our members to make their presence make a difference in whatever way they are able. Examples include:
- Speak Up: When you hear or see something that furthers the oppression of marginalized individuals, speak up and call it out. But, remember that your physical and psychological safety should come first;
- Speak Out: Attend counter-protests as you can. Contact your local, state and federal officials and encourage them to denounce the actions of those peddling hate. Encourage and support others in combating these groups in any way you can;
- Stand Up: Don’t be afraid to stand up for marginalized communities. Have conversations with your friends and families – particularly with those people who may not understand why standing up for people of color, the LGBTQ community, and people of different religious backgrounds is important;
- Stand Out: Be the difference you want to see in the world. Stand out from the alt-right and from indifferent individuals by exemplifying the justice and equity we want in the world.
Remember our values, our purpose, and our guiding principles. We, as members of Delta Lambda Phi, strive to:
- Develop dignified and purposeful social, service, and recreational activities for all men, irrespective of sexual orientation or gender expression;
- Lead in determining the rights and privileges of individuals in society;
- Present a strong and positive image, which respects the diversity of all individuals.
We are a brotherhood which has been fighting for social change, justice, and equity for over thirty years. Together, we have faced these challenges before,and we will continue to educate others, push for equality, and stand united with all marginalized communities in the fight for justice.
Michael Beavers, Trustee and Chairman of the board
Cory Molner, Executive Director and CEO
Founded in 1986 in Washington D.C., Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity is the first nationally recognized Greek-Letter organization founded by gay men for all men. The membership of Delta Lambda Phi is open to all college men who supports its values. Delta Lambda Phi is the first fraternity of its kind to be recognized by the North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) and has 30 chapters and colonies across the United States and Canada. More information about Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity can be found at www.dlp.org.