Becoming a Member
Are you interested in making your presence make a difference as a member of Delta Lambda Phi on the University of Iowa campus?
Becoming a Member of the Gamma Gamma Chapter of Delta Lambda Phi is a process. We want to ensure that you take as much time as you need to feel comfortable making your decision to join us, as well as feeling confident that our Brotherhood is right for you and that you are right for our Brotherhood. Here are the steps you should take if you’re interested in joining:
- Reach out to us! We want to know that you’re interested, and why you want to become a member of our chapter. The more we know about you, the better we can accommodate you and guide you along the path to Brotherhood. If you already know someone that is a part of our chapter or are comfortable reaching out to one of us specifically, we would be more than willing to set up a time to discuss our organization and how you can become a part of it. See the “Contact Us” tab for more information!
- Stay in touch with us! “Like” our Facebook page and follow us on Instagram. There, you will be notified of upcoming events, and ways to get involved with us even before recruitment begins. We also have tables at Fraternity and Sorority Life fairs and the Student Org Fair, so be sure to stop by and see us there, so we can get your contact information and send you information about upcoming events.
- Come to our recruitment events! We hold recruitment twice a year, at the beginning of the fall semester and at the beginning of the spring semester. Recruitment usually runs 1-2 weeks. We will hold various events throughout the week so that everyone has a chance to attend and enjoy the company and fun activities while getting to know more about our organization. Recruitment week schedules will be posted on our social media as well as on our website at least 4 weeks before the beginning of each semester and will be sent out via email to the contacts we make personally or at recruitment fairs.
- Complete the University of Iowa’s Pre-joining Education! The University of Iowa requires that all perspective individuals intending to join a fraternity or sorority complete a prejoining education class consisting on one 1 hour online module as well as a 1 hour in person session. This is required before we are able to extend a bid. More information on this can be found here
- Accept your bid! After the week of recruitment events, the Brotherhood will have become acquainted with you and you with the brotherhood. We, as a chapter, will then extend bids to the potential new members who we believe would benefit from involvement in our chapter. You will then have the opportunity to accept or decline your bid to become a new member.
- Complete our New Member education program! After you have accepted your bid, you will enter our new member education program. During this time, you and your fellow New Members will meet weekly with our New Member Educator to learn more about the history, values, purposes, and traditions of our fraternity, in order to prepare you to enter our chapter as a Brother.
- Become an Active Member! After the completion of your new member education period, the chapter will again decide if you are ready to graduate from new member status based on your performance in your new member education program, as well as your commitment to our chapter’s purposes that you have demonstrated theretofore. Should we decide to accept you into our Brotherhood, you will be granted Active member status and will receive the rights and privileges of an Active member, as well as be able to fully take advantage of the benefits that involvement with Delta Lambda Phi provides.